Shopping during these uneasy times amidst the COVID-19 outbreak can be a daunting task. Will the store have the items you need in stock? Will there be a crowded line waiting to get in? These worries are then multiplied if you are a member of one of the groups deemed high-risk: The elderly, the disabled, those with certain medical conditions such as diabetes or heart conditions, and pregnant women.
To help ease some of these concerns, we have compiled a list of resources regarding food and shopping in the Fresno & Clovis area. We will continue to add to this list as the situation develops.
Dedicated Shopping Hours for Seniors & Other Groups
Many local stores, including the following, have designated specific shopping hours for at-risk groups:
- Costco: Tuesdays and Thursdays from 8-9 a.m. for seniors 60+
- Dollar General: 8-9 a.m. for seniors 65+
- Food 4 Less: Monday, Wednesday, & Friday 7-7:30 a.m. for seniors
- FoodMaxx: Tuesdays & Thursdays 6-9 a.m. for seniors 65+
- Foods Co: Monday, Wednesday, & Friday 7-7:30 a.m. for seniors
- SaveMart: Tuesdays & Thursdays 6-9 a.m. for seniors 65+ and those with compromised health
- Smart & Final: 7:30-8 a.m. for seniors 65+, pregnant women, and those with disabilities
- State Foods: 7-8 a.m. for seniors, pregnant women, and those with disabilities
- Target: Wednesdays from 8-9 a.m. for seniors 65+ and those with medical conditions
- Trader Joes: 9-10 a.m. for seniors
- Vallarta: 7-8 a.m. for seniors 65+, pregnant women, and those with disabilities
- Vons: Tuesdays & Thursdays 7-9 a.m. for seniors
- Walgreens: Tuesdays 8-9 a.m. for seniors
- Walmart: 6-7 a.m. for seniors 60+; the pharmacy and vision center will also be open at this time
- Whole Foods: 8-9 a.m. for seniors 60+
- WinCo Foods: Tuesays & Thursdays 6-7:30 a.m. for seniors 60+ and vulnerable populations
This list is constantly changing as more stores adopt similar policies. Please confirm with your local store if dedicated shopping hours are available.
Food & Grocery Delivery
Local tech hub Bitwise Industries has launched their Take Care initiative, delivering groceries and other essentials to those in need in our community. One “Take Care” grocery box consists of nine meals, one roll of paper towels, two rolls of toilet paper, and hand sanitizer when available.
Learn more about Bitwise’s Take Care initiative
Restaurant and grocery delivery services
Grocery shop from the comfort of your home, or pick up the essentials from the store without having to leave your car. Many local stores and restaurants offer curbside pickup, allowing you to shop and pay online ahead of time, bringing your order out to your car when you arrive. There are also services such as Instacart that allow you to get items from many of your favorite stores delivered right to your door!
[gvblog_contentupgrade cta=”Read Article” heading=”How to Protect Your Home from a Virus Outbreak” link=”https://www.gvhomes.com/blog/how-to-protect-your-home-from-a-virus-outbreak/” img=”https://www.gvhomes.com/wordpress/../wp-content/uploads/2020/03/washing-hands-cta.png”]What can you do to prevent COVID-19 from entering your home? Aside from washing your hands, there are many things that you can do to minimize your contact with pathogens.[/gvblog_contentupgrade]
Take Out & Drive-Thru
Help support your favorite local restaurants! Due to social distancing policies, restaurants can only serve to-go or via delivery during this time. Call ahead to make sure that they are still open, as many eateries have reduced their hours, and ask about your options for pickup or delivery! Some may be offering their own in-house delivery service, or may be available through DoorDash, Postmates, or UberEats. You can also help support these local businesses at this time by purchasing gift cards, allowing them to cover expenses until business picks back up again.
We’re all in this together! The following places are great avenues to communicate with your fellow community members.
- Fresno COVID-19 Resource Facebook Group is a public space where community members have been helping others find items in stock at local stores, share information about local resources, and more.
- Nextdoor is a social media platform and app designed to connect you with your neighbors. It’s a great tool to stay connected and to help each other out during these times.
We will continue to update these lists as information becomes available. Remember that we are all in this together, so stay safe, stay healthy, and stay home!